Earlier only physical beauty of contestants was taken into account in beauty pageants. But with changing times, most pageants now include a pageant interview question round, thus, judging the intelligence along with beauty. So now, beauty with brains is what is looked for! So, if you are dreaming of that much coveted glittering crown, here are some pageant interview questions for your help.
In the words of Plato, “Truth is beauty, beauty is truth”. Beauty in its various forms, including a woman’s beauty, is being appreciated right from Plato’s time (though the ways of expressing and appreciating beauty have changed!). And it’s almost been a century since pageant contests are being held. The Miss America Pageant was first held in Atlantic City on 7th September, 1921. But the contest was not called ‘Miss America Pageant’ back then, it was called the ‘Inter-City Beauty Contest’. And beauty contests have seen a huge transformation since then; giving birth to ‘Miss World Contest’ in 1951 and ‘Miss Universe’ Contest in 1952.
One of the most important rounds of beauty contests is the pageant interview question round. Aspiring beauty queens concentrate more on physical appearance and tend to ignore the intellectual part of the contest. But pageant interviews is the trickiest and the most important part of the competition. Also, it is depending on the answers given by the contestants that the judges make their final decision.
Interesting Pageant Interview Questions
Usually, the third round of a pageant is the question round. Each judge gets a chance to ask a question. The questions can be based on anything, ranging from Hollywood to home science and the contestants have only a few minutes to answer! So presence of mind is very important. The answer neither should be too long and nor should it be monosyllabic. You should be able to justify your answer, and not be confused about it. Also, it is advisable to be diplomatic. The key is to be confident in whatever you say.
- What is success according to you?
- In your view, what is the biggest problem facing our educational system today?
- Describe yourself in three adjectives and explain why.
- What do you want to achieve in life?
- What would you like to change about yourself, and why?
- What do you want to gain by participating in a beauty pageant?
- Do you think that gay marriages should be legalized everywhere?
- Do you support Obama’s stance on gay marriage. If yes, why? If not, why not?
- If you stumbled upon a dollar on sidewalk, what would you do with it?
- Name one living person that inspires you.
- Why do we search for knowledge if the saying ‘Ignorance is bliss’ rings true?
- Which word irks you when said out loud, or read somewhere? Why?
- When have you been very proud of yourself in your life?
- What do you think is the most important discovery of the last century? Why?
- What do you think about cosmetic surgery in a pageant competition? Does it give an unfair advantage to a contestant? Why?
- According to you, what is femininity?
- What or who motivates you, and why?
- What are your views about the War in Iraq?
- Which cartoon character would you like to be, and why?
- Tell is something that will make us remember you.
- What will you choose, family or career? Why?
- If it was possible to take one thing along with you after your death, what would it be? Why?
- What does a woman of substance mean to you?
- What is the biggest challenge faced by youth today?
- Name the woman you feel is the finest pageant title holder till now. Why?
- What three characteristics are a must for a Miss ____?
- If you were to go through rebirth, whom would you choose to come back as – Mother Teresa or Helen of Troy? Why?
- How do beauty contests promote equality between sexes?
- If you don’t win, whom would you like to see winning and why?
- Do you think a title holder should or should not express her religious faith in public?
- What is your take on the legalization of euthanasia?
- Do you think you can make an impact on society? How?
- Is it right to hold beauty contests for children below the age of twelve?
- What bothers you the most about what is happening in the world today? Why?
- How far would you go to win this pageant?
- If you decide to write an autobiography, what would you entitle it?
- What do you think about beauty titles being taken away because of weight gain in the title holder?
The key to the crown in the end, is confidence, as most of these questions are subjective, and don’t have a right or wrong answer. However, you can use these interview questions to ensure that you are prepared with at least a few answers beforehand! I hope these interesting pageant interview questions are a stepping stone towards your dream! Good luck!