Turning 18 is one of the most important milestones in anyone's life. The 'child' tag disappears and people start seeing you in a different light. Yes, you'll always be a child to your parents, but you will notice a difference in their behavior too. As adolescents, you were always told what to do, when to do it, and also how to do it.
Once you turn 18, all this changes, slowly but surely. You get a glimpse of what independence is. You get to experience college life, and the many things that you could not (or were not supposed to) do. There are so many things you can do when you turn 18, that will give you a refreshing break from being treated like a child. Won't you like to know exactly what these are? Alright then, just read ahead and your question will be answered.
Things You Can Do Once You're 18
There are some fun things and some quite serious things that you can look forward to when you turn 18. You need to understand that you are standing at a threshold of your life, where you are no longer going to be taken as a child. Your opinion will matter, and your life will be determined by the choices you make. And the choices will most definitely be yours because you are an able adult of sound mind.
Remember that quote from Spiderman? "With great power comes great responsibility." Well, you might not think of turning 18 as being given a great power, but it actually is. It gives you the freedom to be yourself, and do your thing. And you're the only person who will be held responsible for your actions. Your parents, relatives, teachers etc. cannot do anything to help you. All they can do is guide you. Acting on the advice or guidance is totally your call. So, on that note, let us see all the fun things that you can expect to do once you're 18!
- You can get your name in the electoral rolls and vote!
- If you've been smoking hidden in nooks and corners, now you can buy cigarettes by showing your ID.
- You can go to nightclubs.
- You can get your own marriage fixed without your parents consent.
- If the said marriage does not work out, you can get a divorce.
- You can seek legal advice if you're thinking of suing someone, sue them and also get sued.
- There are a lot of for teenagers who have no experience; so you can work longer hours.
- You can book a hotel room in your own name.
- Legal documents can be made in your name, and you are eligible to sign them.
- You can donate blood to someone.
- You can get a full-time job that pays you better than a part-time one, based on your education.
- You can open a savings bank account and also own a credit card.
- You can get a higher loan from a bank.
- If your state allows it, you can also go gambling in a casino.
- You can purchase or consume alcohol by showing your ID.
- You can watch movies that are for 'adults only'.
- You can get your driver's license, if you don't already have it.
- You can get a license to start a business or to tend a bar.
- You can write and sign a check.
- You can rent or lease an apartment in your own name.
- You can own a car.
- You can open your own PayPal account.
- You can chew tobacco.
- You can also get insurance for yourself and your property.
- You can also work at a strip club or at a nightclub.
- You can also own a weapon, provided you are given the license for it.
- You can be tried and convicted as an adult, and be sent to an adult prison.
That was a glimpse at some of the things that people in the age group of above 18 can do. There are many more things that you can do to enjoy your freedom and independence. Just make sure that you do not misuse this precious liberty that you have been entrusted with. Because when you do, you will have only yourself to blame. So act wisely, and live a fulfilling life!