Did you know that the Guinness Book of Records also holds a record of sorts? It holds the record for being the most stolen book from public libraries.
Trivia is often interesting and fun to know but useless. These facts often serve as a source of entertainment to people. One of my favorite books as a child was 501 Fascinating Facts. Till date I have a fascination for books about trivia, as they are a good way to pass time and alleviate boredom.
There are many things on the planet that exist but do not necessarily make any sense. No one really knows the reason for their occurrence and therefore, most of these things make up our list of dumb useless facts. Some of these are funny, while some are plain useless, but all of them are informative in some little way.
- The thigh bones of human beings are stronger than concrete.
- If you thought caffeine is what will give you a rush in the morning and make you feel awake, you are wrong. The most effective eatable would be an apple.
- In our entire lifetime, we eat food that is equivalent to the weight of six full-grown elephants.
- If you thought fingerprints and DNA are the only things that can be solid proof in a murder case, you should know that tongue prints are equally individualistic.
- Guess which book causes the most number of shoplifting cases in US. The Bible.
- The speed of a human sneeze, when it leaves the body, is 40 mph.
- Subcontinental is the only word in English language that has all the vowels in reverse order.
- A human being is born with 300 bones, but as an adult has only 206 bones.
- The inventor of the light bulb, Thomas Alva Edison was afraid of the dark.
- There are only two nations in the world the names of which starts with an 'A' but do not end with one: Afghanistan and Azerbaijan.
- A donkey's eyes are placed in such a manner that it can see all four of its feet at all times.
- There is an actual town named Hell on earth. It is situated in Norway. Now, if we could just find Heaven!
- The only word in the English language that is pronounced the same way when all of its alphabets except the first one are removed is queue.
- If there was no coloring in Coca-Cola, it would be green in color.
- Women blink their eyes twice the number of times men do.
- Shakespeare, in all his writings, used some 17,677 words, and coined about 1700 words. Talk about creative liberty!
- Did you know that the dot that you need to put over the alphabet i has a name? It is called a tittle.
- Ever consulted a dictionary to check a spelling? Double check it the next time. In the 1996 edition of Webster's Dictionary, almost 315 words were misspelled.
- There are only a limited number of moves that you can use to play the first four chances in a game of chess. The number is a mere 318,979,564,000.
- Till the 1830's, ketchup was sold as medicine.
- Donald Duck comic strips were banned in Finland, because Donald Duck does not wear pants.
- Israeli postage stamps have a type of glue on them that is certified as kosher.
- Oscars handed out at the Academy Awards during the Second World War were made of wood due to scarcity of metal.
- The earliest Olympic games allowed women to participate, but did not allow them to watch the games.
- The world's longest name is Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorffvoralternwarengewissenhaftschaferswessenschafewarenwohlgepflegeundsorgfaltigkeitbeschutzenvonangreifendurchihrraubgierigfeindewelbumholeychevoralternzwolftausendjahresvorandieerscheinenwanderersteerdemenschderrassumschiffgebrauchlichtalsseinursprungvonkraftgestartseinlangefahrthinzwischensternartigraumaufdersuchenachdiesternwelchegehabtbewohnbarplanetenkreisedrehensichundwohinderneurassevonverstandigmenschlichkeitkonntefortplanzenundsicherfreuenanlebenslanglichfreudeundruhemitnichteinfurchtvorangreifenvonandererintelligentgeschopfsvonhinzwischensternartigraumhi, Senior. The name has 746 letters.
- All those jokes cracked at the expense of Canada have an addition. The name of the nation literally translates to Big Village.
- Mosquito repellents do not actually repel mosquitoes, they hide human beings by blocking the mosquito's sensors that inform them about our presence.
- The only planet not to be named after a God is Earth.
- A giraffe has a tongue that is so long (approximately 21 inches), that it can clean its own ears with its tongue.
- Queen Elizabeth I had an extremely high opinion about her cleanliness as she made sure she had a bath once every three months, regardless of whether or not she was unclean. This was a public declaration made by her.
These funny random facts are just a tip of the iceberg. There are many more such dumb useless facts about men, women, animals, objects, etc. Buy books, look up on the Internet, and increase your knowledge of useless trivia. If nothing else, they will amuse you.