Are you a fan of the romantic comedies? You have struck gold! This Entertainism article has a list of the best romantic comedy films released over the years.
First of all, I must tell you; I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of compiling these lists of the best romantic comedies. There were so many great movies and each had its own magic. So this list was a tough one to compile. Actually, I am not much of a fan of the sappy romantic movies, but I like such comedy movies because they give you all the drama of a love story in a simple light hearted way. They are also good movies to watch when bored. So here it is folks, the lists of the best romantic comedies, both new and old.
Best Rom-coms of 2010
The new movies have a different feel, a new look and fresh stories but deep down somewhere they still follow the same age-old romantic comedy formula. But it still works and that is why we like them so much. Here are some new rom-coms, some of the best comedy movies.
- Leap Year (Starring – Amy Adams, Matthew Goode and Adam Scott)
- Valentine’s Day (Starring – Julia Roberts, Jessica Alba, Bradley Cooper, and Jennifer Garner)
- Date Night (Starring – Steve Carell,Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg)
- The Back Up Plan (Starring – Jennifer Lopez, Alex O’Loughlin, Michaela Watkins)
Rom-coms of the Decade (2000-2010)
The above-mentioned movies were the best from this year. This next list gives you the flicks from the entire decade. But if you are a fan of just the comedies take a look at these top comedy movies of the decade for a heavy dose of just comedy.
- Sweet Home Alabama starring Reese Witherspoon and Josh Lucas (2002)
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding with John Corbett and Nia Vardalis (2002)
- Love Actually with Hugh Grant, Martine McCutcheon (2003)
- Must Love Dogs with Diane Lane and John Cusack (2004)
- Meet the Parents with Ben Stiller, Terri Polo and Robert De Niro (2000)
- Prime with Uma Thurman, Bryan Greenberg and Meryl Streep (2005)
- Music & Lyrics with Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant (2007)
- Knocked Up with Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogen (2005)
- The Wedding Date with Debra Messing and Dermot Mulroney (2005)
Top Rom-coms of All Time
And finally the best romantic movies of all time are here.
- The Princess Bride (1987) Starring Cary Elwes and Robin Wright Penn
- Charade (1963) Starring Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant and Walter Matthau
- City Lights (1931) Starring Charlie Chaplin
- Roman Holiday (1953), Starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck
- Some Like it Hot (1959) Starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon
- Annie Hall (1977) Starring Woody Allen and Diane Keaton
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) Starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet
- Groundhog Day (1993) Starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961) Starring Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard
- Shakespeare in Love (1998) Starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Joseph Fiennes
- Pretty Woman (1990) Starring Richard Gere and Julia Roberts
- Sleepless in Seattle (1993) Starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan
- Beauty and the Beast (1991)
- Adam’s Rib (1949) Starring Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn
- The Philadelphia Story (1940) Starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn
- Manhattan (1971) Starring Woody Allen and Diane Keaton
- Harold and Maude (1971) Starring Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort
- It Happened One Night (1943) Starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert
- When Harry Met Sally (1989) Starring Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan
- Moonstruck (1987) Starring Cher and Nicholas Cage
- While You Were Sleeping (1995)
- Sabrina (1995)
- Notting Hill (1999)
- Stardust (2007)
- Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)
- Just Married (2003)
- 50 First Dates (2004)
Well, the lists given above are based on personal choice and some movie reviews. But by no means are they exhaustive. You can have your own list of best romantic comedies.