People love watching and reading cartoons and comic strips. This article gives you a list of some of the most famous and successful cartoonists from across the world. I am sure you must have seen or read their hilarious creations when you were kids, and continue to do so even now. Read on to learn more…
David Remnick, American journalist, writer, and magazine editor, has correctly pointed out that “98% of the people who get a magazine say they read the cartoons first; and the other 2% are lying.” Reading something funny, something that tingles our funny bone early in the morning, is better than reading about murders, kidnappings, thefts, etc. Let us meet the best of the people who are responsible for making us laugh every single day.
Walter Elias Disney or Walt Disney
No list of cartoonists’ can be complete without the biggest name in the business, Walt Disney. The magic that he conjured with his sketches in the 1940s has still not lost its charm and uniqueness. He was an American film producer, voice actor, animator, and director. He, along with his brother, Roy O. Disney, founded the Walt Disney Production, and created the famous character of Mickey Mouse with the help of his team. Their first popular success was, however, not Mickey, but Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. But he had to let go his control over that character due to some problems with the contracts. Mickey, as we all know, is a timeless character, and one of the most famous icons in American history.
William Denby “Bill” Hanna
Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby Doo, The Smurfs, Yogi Bear, and The Huckelberry Hound Show are some of the famous cartoons created by Bill Hanna. In 1937, while he was working with MGM, he met Joseph Barbera, and these two men produced the evergreen cartoon (and my all-time favorite) Tom and Jerry. The famous Hanna-Barbera TV animation studio was founded by them in 1957, and it was through this that both of them produced cartoons like The Flintstones, The Jetsons, etc. Their cartoons have won 7 Academy Awards and 8 Emmy Awards.
Charles Martin “Chuck” Jones
“Ehhhhh…What’s up Doc?” Don’t you just love this famous quote of Bugs Bunny?
This fictional character was created by none other than Chuck Jones, the director of famous animated movies like “The Looney Tunes” and “Merrie Melodies”. Some of the other famous cartoon characters created by this cartoonist are Daffy Duck, Road Runner, Sylvester, Wile E. Coyote, to name a few. He had also produced some series of Tom and Jerry. Later, he started his own studio, called Chuck Jones Productions.
Daniel S. DeCarlo
Daniel Decarlo was the creator of the famous teenage boy from Riverdale, Archie Andrews, and his friends Betty, Veronica, Jughead, Reggie, and others. He also created Sabrina, the teenage witch, Josie and the Pussycats, and the real hot girl, Cheryl Blossom. All these characters were created in the 1950, but are read even today.
Rene Goscinny and Albert Uderzo
They are the ones who created the famous and widely known Vikings, Asterix and Obelix, and the famous, invincible Gaulish village. His creation has also been converted into movies, and is still read and watched widely by kids and adults across the world. Children love to hear about the adventures of these two Gauls and their dog, Dogamatix.
George Remi or Herge
This Belgian genius was the creator of the everlasting character, Tintin. People love to listen to the adventures of Tintin, Captain Haddock, Prof. Calculus, the funny Thompson and Thomson, and the rest of the crew.
Some Other Cartoonists
- Henry King “Hank” Ketcham
- Ronald “Carl” Giles
- Judy Horacek
- Robert Crumb
- Matt Groening
- R.K. Laxman
- John Leech
- Walt Kelly
- Osamu Tezuka
- Ralph Bakshi
- Jules Bass
- Arthur Davis
- Eric Goldberg
- Bud Fisher
- Mike Petters
- Bill Watterson
- Ben Caldwell
- Adolf Hitler (I know you must be surprised, but it’s true. He was a well-known cartoonist)
These cartoonists have done a lot more than one can imagine; they have made so many people laugh. Some people say it’s a good deed if you make at least three people laugh everyday. If that is the case, these cartoonists must be considered part-angels by now, as they make not three but hundreds of thousands laugh everyday.